If you live in a dry place and don’t have a humidifier, you need to think again!
Maintaining a healthy humidity level in your house is more important than you’ve ever thought, especially during winter because of heaters.
Getting a humidifier, your kids will breath better and your furniture will be protected from the cracking effect of dry air.
There are a lot of things to consider, though, when buying a humidifier and of course you need to know the most trusted brands to purchase, that’s why you need to check the article below.
What to Consider Before Buying a House Humidifier
I trust you won’t go into the store looking for the nearest humidifier to buy!
There are a lot of factors to put into your consideration when getting any household item especially one that involves breathing, I did my best to mention all the important thing that you should know.
Cool or Warm?
Humidifiers are either warm mist or cool mist, there are a lot of types that we’ll talk about later on, but they’re generalized into these two categories.
They both add moisture to the air and do the same job, the difference is in the process itself.
You can choose between them according to your personal preference, but you need to understand the exact difference between them to be able to choose correctly.
The warm mist humidifiers work by heating water to the point of boiling, so the steam arises. Those humidifiers can be dangerous using them in a place near kids, so you need to take care of that bit.
Also, some warm mist humidifiers include mineral filters that are there to trap water deposits, if you buy that humidifier, make sure to replace the filter every now and then. Always take the maintenance into your account when choosing any humidifier.
Cold mist humidifiers, on the other hand, are divided into three types:
- Evaporative: Operates by a fan that blows air over a wet wick.
- Ultrasonic: Operates by a vibrating nebulizer that emits water, they are quiet which is a bonus.
- Impeller: Operates by a rotating disk that produces mist.
Big or Small?
The humidifier size is important. In order to understand why, you need to know that the optimum house humidity should be 30%-50%, of course. That can drop to 10% during winter especially if you use a heater, which is the main reason why you need a humidifier in the first place.
The most important factor in deciding the humidifier size is the room size, coming after it is the efficiency, noise, and convenience.
You need to know the square footage of your room and decide upon it:
- Travel size humidifiers: cover up to 25 square feet.
- Small room humidifiers: cover from 25 to 300 square feet
- Medium room humidifiers: cover from 300 to 500 square feet
- Large room humidifiers: cover from 500 to 1000 square feet
- Console whole-home humidifiers: 1000 and beyond.
Dangerous or Safe?
In general, the humidifiers are completely safe to use.
If you know how to use them and maintain them in the right way.
There are a few possible risks that you should know of to take care:
- Burns: That’s to care of if you have children, don’t let them near it, especially if you use a warm mist one. And don’t leave them unattended in the kids’ rooms.
- Bacterial Growth: That can happen when you don’t clean them in the right way, bacterial growth can cause coughs especially for someone with allergies, so make sure you clean your humidifier according to the instructions.
- Condensation: That can happen due to extra moisture, it can cause mold to grow and spread out on the walls, so you need to make sure that doesn’t happen.
- Microorganisms: They are emitted naturally by humidifiers, they’re completely normal and not harmful, but they can bother someone with asthma, you can use distilled water to avoid this problem.
Uses of a humidifier
- The moisture keeps the nasal passages moist which relieves allergy and cold symptoms. It’s also beneficial for asthma patients.
- The moisture relieves dry sinuses which prevents nose problems.
- Humidifiers lower the intensity of the snoring sound if you sleep next to a snoring person.
- Normalizes the house’s heat and makes the atmosphere comfortable.
- Helps with the dried out skin and lips.
- Protects the furniture and the valuable antiques from cracking.
A Few Good Tips?
- Take care that the small and medium humidifiers mostly need refills more frequently than others.
- If you’re buying a humidifier for large spaces or sleeping areas, it’d be better to buy a quiet ultrasonic humidifier.
- Evaporative and ultrasonic both generate a lot of moist air, and the console models specifically don’t require frequent refills.
- Don’t get tricked by how the humidifier looks. A lot of them are designed for modern areas so they put the decor in mind. You only need the function and the efficiency, remember that.
- Keeping the humidifier clean is more important than anything else to make sure that the mist is safe for breathing, so make sure to get one that’s easy to drain and clean every day.
- If you get a humidifier, make sure to remove the visible residues using vinegar once weekly. Check this cleaning method for more info.
- If the humidifier fits under your faucet, it’s suitable for you. That’s a factor that you can’t ignore because you’ll need to refill it or clean it using a faucet.
- Make sure the controls are easy to understand and the humidity levels are on display.
- Some humidifiers are accompanied by a humidistat that automatically shuts it off when it reaches a certain level of humidity, make sure to buy one even if your model doesn’t have it because other than that, the humidifier can reach very high levels of humidity which can cause condensation on windows.
- If you get a humidifier with a timer, you can forget to change the water which can produce microbes it if sits for long, so make sure the luxury doesn’t cause you any kind of inconvenience.
Best Whole House Humidifiers to Buy in 2019
Let’s see which brands deserve your money.
This humidifier gives you the option to operate it as cool or warm mist, it has both options. It humidifies fast and has a 360-degree nozzle that allows you to move it into whatever direction you like.
It carries up to 5.5 liters of water which allows it to work up to 36 hours on the low setting. It’s provided with a timer and a humidity sensor that allows you to check the level every now and often.
It can also be used as an aroma diffuser.
AIRCARE Space-Saver Evaporative Humidifier
This humidifier is provided with digital controls and an automatic humidistat that controls the humidity level so it doesn’t arise more than necessary.
It works up to 70 hours and carries up to 6 gallons of water.
This H12600 whole house humidifier from AIRCARE covers space up to 3700 square feet, it can produce up to 11.9 gallons per day.
It’s provided with a sensor humidistat that makes sure the humidity doesn’t arise much.
The company provides a 2-year warranty with it.
AIRCARE 4DTS 900
This 4DTS 900 humidifier from AIRCARE has a built-in hygrometer and provided with an automatic humidistat.
It has an output of 11.5 gallons per day and can carry up to 5.7 gallons of water.
It has a digital touch screen with a control panel that allows you to adjust the humidity level as you like.
This humidifier that is manufactured in the USA has a coverage of 3000 square feet and a capacity of 12 gallons per day.
It’s provided with dual sensors that adjust the humidity according to indoor and outdoor temperature.
It has a digital control panel that shows the current humidity level and indicates whether it needs a change of water or not.
Best Humidifiers for Allergy
If you live with an allergic person, you need to put them into account. Some humidifiers are not suitable for them, these two are pretty safe to use.
Pure Enrichment MistAire
Pure Enrichment humidifier works for up to 16 hours, the mist direction and speed are adjustable. It holds water up to 1.5 liters.
It’s provided with a night light.
When you buy it, you get a 2-year warranty, it’s also accompanied by a user manual for reference.
Polardo Ultrasonic Cool and Warm Mist Humidifier
An ultrasonic humidifier that’s provided with an air ionization system and essential oil diffuser. Has a tank that carries up to 4 liters of water, lasts up to 24 hours at low speed and switches between 12 mist settings.
The air ionization system produces cleansing ions that fight different types of bacteria, and the essential oil box allows you to choose your favorite aroma to spread throughout the room.
It also has a water purification system so you don’t need to change water filters.
Whole House Steam Humidifiers
Go big or go home! You want a whole-house humidifier, then you need to get the best there is to avoid any inconvenience. Check out these two.
This humidifier is provided by a humidistat that’s useful for controlling the humidity level so it doesn’t arise much. It has a nighttime setting and it automatically shuts off when it’s empty of water.
It has 3 fan speeds, the fan also self adjusts according to the level of the humidity.
It’s an evaporative humidifier.
A pedestal-style evaporative humidifier that cover space up to 2400 square feet. It’s accompanied with a humidistat that regulates the humidity level with digital accuracy.
It has 9 fan speeds and automatically shuts off when the tank is empty.
Choosing a humidifier for your house is an important thing. Make sure to think wisely and see all your options before you decide.
Now that you know the most important factors to consider and the best brands to purchase, I’m sure it’ll be a piece of cake for you!